A Human Element In The Digital Realm

Bits-n-Bytes.


I've been thinking for some time now that things have been somewhat different in the digital arena... seems like there's something missing, or perhaps there's just less of it and when you see it, it's more apparrent or obvious. I'm talking about the human element. It's that essence which separates the "wheat from the chaff." It is evident in the threads that weave a social fabric that keeps us warm, gives us protection, and transcends the boundaries of location, time or language. You know it when you see it. That little bit of humanity that can't be easily replicated by a device or software algorhythm. Don't get me wrong, I love machines, robots, and artificial intelligence — but they just don't have that element.

Here's some relevant sounds to groove on while you read the post...



Anti-Social Media: Signal or Noise?

I've noticed the lack of that human element most in social media. Seems like folks are more focussed on followers, +1's and likes than in actual participation the game: the fun stuff, the sharing, the  "Hey, how you doin'? Long time no speak..." or witty writings on my wall, and engaging with others. We become the proverbial "rats running races." Yeah, everybody's busy, and I'm guilty of some of it from time to time too. Yup. But I work long hours at my full-time job and try to do side projects whenever I can. I do my reading and try to stay on top of trends and everything new. Add to that all the family stuff, chores, errands and things that just seem to swallow-up any remaining time that's left over. That said, I still I try hard not to make a habit of it and I always try to be myself, be inclusive and stay sincere.

What, Me Worry?

Sometimes I get discouraged and think, "why bother logging in" and wonder if it's "time to get off the social grid." Most of the time I just don't think about it... I generally don't worry about the missing human aspect, but as I said before, I do make an effort to not add to the problem. Nope. Not me. Just like James Brown, 'I'm gonna get-up and do my thang.'

The Human Element is Alive and Kicking.

In the last few weeks I've had the pleasure of seeing that element rise-up and brighten my day. At the end of the day for me it's not really about click-throughs, SEO link-juice, a Klout score, or being the Mayor of FarmVille. Don't get me wrong, that stuff matters too. I love a momentous mention here and there, a bunch of re-tweets, any +1's I can get my mouse on, those funky #FollowFridays... I can't imagine a month without a luscious like now and again. It's just different I guess.

Sometimes, You Get What You Give. 

It's that super-sauce. That dash of goodness sprinkled on it that makes the meal so tasty. The 80/20 rule is in a full frontal attack, yet a subtle signal of secret sauce remains among the nasty noise in the digital realm. Tough to find it, but lately I've enjoyed the luxury of that 20% that has the human element. Once in a while, you get the good stuff. It's the stuff that builds a great brand. Honesty, credibility, integrity, loyalty... keeps 'em coming back for more. With that in mind, here are some folks that are doin' things right and shining bright despite the plight:


LiveFyre
http://livefyre.com
@Livefyre

Sokanu
http://sokanu.com
@sokanu

Inanimatt
http://inanimatt.com
@inanimatt

Formulate
http://formulate.com.au
@Formulate

Zerply
http://zerply.com
@zerply

Thanks for making it more than just another rat race folks :)

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree with you more about getting what you give when it comes to social media use. Businesses want all of these fans and followers to love them and interact with them all the time, but a lot of businesses won't put forth the effort that it will take to make that level of engagement happen. A few automated publishing services and schedulers later and everyone's wondering what went wrong. Putting the "Social" back in social media has never been more important!

    I really enjoyed your post and have included a link to it in one of ours over at RankPop.com, feel free to check it out and let us know what you think!

    Post: http://www.rankpop.com/reach-out-with-social-media-pt-1/

    Regards,

    ~Frances

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Frances, I'm glad you liked the post! Strategy is definitely as important as an earnest effort towards engagement, that's for sure.

    Thanks for the "link-juice" I really appreciate it! Really good post, I like the tips... I used to be "the life of the party" but all work and no play has made me a bit of a dull guy :)

    ReplyDelete