Here's my "good deed" for the day.

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!With the blizzard-like conditions out side, I figured it was an easy day to do a "good deed" with so much sleet and snow out there. After making my way out to get coffee and breakfast for the kids, supplies at the store (in case we got snowed-in) and then a few errands around town, I slowly made my way home. The truck is just great in this weather, and I rarely have any trouble.

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!I made the left-turn onto our street and noticed a guy stuck -- even though it was a Subaru AWD. I saw his neighbor using his snow-blower to clean his own driveway for his McMansion with complete disregard for this guy who was stuck in a really bad way. These kinds of people really piss me off. Luckily I was driving slow enough to stop safely and ask if the older fellow with the Subaru needed help, and he immediately said YES! This was an opportunity for a "random act of kindness" on my part, so I pulled over...

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!I introduced myself, and he did as well. He's been there 10 years and we've been here for eight — so we both know that there are two basic types of people who live in town. Pierre and I seem to be similar enough for me to want to help him.

I had a shovel in the truck and in about 20 minutes, I had helped him clear a big four foot snow-bank of heavy wet packed snow so he might be able to get out of his driveway.

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!I didn't realize that before I stopped to help him he had wedged the front wheel of his Subaru about 8 inches deep into his lawn while also getting it precariously stuck on top of an icy snow-pack — his All Wheel Drive was useless because the wheels that could turn just spun and the others did nothing.

I suggested that we continue to dig as much as possible, and then let the engine idle and maybe the heat would melt some of the iceberg beneath his SUV. It was frustrating, but he's not getting out until the snow bank melts a bit in a day or so.

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!Anyway we shook hands and I was off to bring the coffee and breakfast, and all the other things in the house and then shovel my own driveway. What I didn't realize was I had missed most of the first half of the Patriots vs. Jets game by the time I had shoveled my walkway and as much as I could of the driveway. Bummer.

New England Patriots »I made the kids brunch and some hot chocolate with the game in the background. The Patriots were winning but it wasn't the type of "blowout" that folks predicted. The weather definitely had something to do with the game's outcome. The Jets gave 'em a busy day, but the Pats won which makes them 14-0 for the season. They may go all the way this year, which is basically what I said in August.

*~<|:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment